commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: [lang.Strings] Unit Test todo list
Date Sat, 13 Jul 2002 06:27:12 GMT
Knocked out the escape, stripAll, getNestedString, defaultString,
getLevenshteinDistance methods.

This basically leaves us with:

wordWrap
quoteRegularExpression
stackTrace
isLine
convertNativeToUnicode
convertUnicodeToNative

There is a test for the latter two methods, but it seems to have problems
succeeding. In fact it exceptions as bad input for me.
StackTrace is not so easy to test due to the dynamic nature of a stack
trace string. Needs some play.
isLine, wordWrap and quoteRegularExpression are all up for debate imo.
isLine doesn't seem to offer any real functionality as few pieces of text
would not contain punctuation, and quoteRegularExpression seems to be of
little use, plus it doesn't account for character classes. WordWrap is a
very useful method, but probably needs more work.

1) I'd like to suggest dropping isLine and quoteRegexp.
2) Any help with the native/unicode would be welcomed
3) Ideas for good ways to test stack trace are welcomed.
4) Views on wordWrap. While good functionality [i think], it has some
quirky errors on some forms of boundary cases. Should there be a WordWrap
class in another package for text formatting?

Hen