commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject [lang] JDK 1.0/1.1
Date Tue, 09 Jul 2002 06:50:53 GMT
Before release I think it would behoove [look mama, I used a new word] us
to investigate how tied we are to JDK 1.2+. If it's very minimal, then it
might be worth considering tying ourselves to 1.1 instead. An advantage of
this is that the code can be used in J2ME.

A quick look at the moment seems to suggest that we have few dependencies.
[that don't compile on 1.1.8 anyway].

CharSet uses Iterator/List/LinkedList internally.
NestableRuntimeException uses a LinkedList internally.
Strings has an argument that takes an Iterator. [join(Iterator,String)]
RandomStrings uses Random.nextInt(int).

Of these, the first two can easily be replaced with minor performance
changes, and synchronisation improvement.

The third one is the big deal. It involves a change to the 'published'
API, making it less useful. However, I think it's a pretty minor API
change.

The last one can easily be replaced [I believe] with less nice code.

Any views?

Hen