commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Brad Jones" <bostitch...@hotmail.com>
Subject Question on getting to the parsed XML
Date Tue, 02 Jul 2002 19:41:30 GMT

I am new to XML parsing (from an xml file to a Java object) and I'm trying
out Digester. I'm having trouble figuring out how to use the digester to
access the parsed XML once i've run the digester.parse() method.  FYI...The
following examples are just testing code for me to learn digester so things
like Exception handling are not fully written.

Here's a very simple xml file that I"m parsing:

	<toplevel>
		<element>
			<field1>Value 1</field1>
			<field2>Value 2</field2>
		</element>
	</toplevel>

Here's my digester code that I'm using to parse the XML show above:

TestPropertyBean tpbean = new TestPropertyBean();
java.io.FileInputStream fileInputStream = null;
Digester digester = new Digester();

//Adding data structure to digester to be parsed
digester.push(tpbean);

digester.setValidating(false);

//Rules for parsing the xml file.
digester.addObjectCreate("toplevel/element",
"com.ibm.us.force.bean.property.TestPropertyBean");
digester.addBeanPropertySetter("toplevel/element/field1", "field1");
digester.addBeanPropertySetter("toplevel/element/field2", "field2");

try{
	fileInputStream = new java.io.FileInputStream("c:/test.xml");
}catch(java.io.FileNotFoundException fnfe){
	//Handle exception for File Not Found
}

try{
	Object data = digester.parse(fileInputStream);
	fileInputStream.close();

}catch(org.xml.sax.SAXException se){
	//Handle exception for sax parser
	System.out.println(se.getMessage());
}catch(java.io.IOException ie){
	//Hanlde exception for IO
}

When the digester.parse() method is called, I can see the TestPropertyBean
setters being called and the values being set to the bean instance.  My
problem is that I don't know how to get access to that data once it's been
parsed...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Brad