commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Cohen" <Ste...@ignitesports.com>
Subject HTTPClient history and .Z file decompression
Date Tue, 02 Jul 2002 11:16:19 GMT
Can someone tell me if there is a commmon history between the jakarta HTTPClient package and
a similar package that is still being maintained (maybe) at Source Forge?  In particular,
there is one file in that project that is of interest to me:

http://cvs.sf.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/skunkdav/skunkdav/HTTPClient/UncompressInputStream.java?rev=1.1.1.1&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup&sortby=author

It is a decompressor for .Z (unix compress) files which, after a fairly extensive search seems
to be otherwise unsupported under java.  If there is a relation between these two HttpClients,
then this file seems to have been dropped from the package at some point in between.  If that
is correct, can someone explain why?

Could licensing be at the root of the issue?  UncompressInputStream is under the LGPL.  And
it doesn't seem all that relevant to an HTTPClient package anyway - its uses go far beyond
that.

I guess what I am really getting around to asking is whether this functionality has been picked
up elsewhere in the jakarta system.  It seems like a useful functionality to have.