commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Create new commons-sandbox-dev mailing list
Date Wed, 31 Jul 2002 10:11:15 GMT
On 7/30/02 6:55 PM, "costinm@covalent.net" <costinm@covalent.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Jul 2002, Martin Cooper wrote:
>
>> Better, splitting off HttpClient as a top level Jakarta project, assuming
>> the committers would like to do that. That would have my +1. Splitting off a
>> mailing list for HttpClient would have my +0, for reasons described below.
>
> First, it's the PMC that should accept it as top-level project.
> And I'm not very sure it's a good idea - it works very well as part
> of commons.

So did Cactus.

I don't know if HTTPClient would be appropriate as a top-level project, but
if it's something they want, we shouldn't try to keep them here.

> Having separate mailing lists for http client ( or any other commons
> component that wants to ) is possible and a good idea - all it
> needs is a vote from the commiters.

Hm.

>> I'm -1 on the original proposal, for reasons that have already been stated
>> by others (Hen & Geir). In addition, I don't like the idea of sandbox folks
>> operating in a vacuum, without knowing what's going on in Commons proper,
>
> I'm not sure I understand the reasons.
>
> So you want to force everyone working on commons projects to read
> and follow the sandbox ? That's crazy - I can barely follow all
> the components in commons.

>From my POV, I'm just afraid of creating a new de-facto project, the
sandbox.  The sandbox is part of commons - I am interested in supporting
that we start projects there, and once they get momentum, they move here to
commons.

If it was a separate list, then the commons committers, who decide if a
component from sandbox comes to commons, would have no idea what the project
is about, etc etc

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.
Research & Development, Adeptra Inc.