commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com>
Subject Re: Commons and Maven
Date Tue, 23 Jul 2002 14:03:39 GMT
On 7/23/02 9:47 AM, "Jason van Zyl" <jason@zenplex.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just finished making a first pass at a master project.xml descriptor
> for the commons along with subclass project.xml files for most of the
> commons projects. With this mechanism there is a parent project.xml file
> in the top-level commons directory and each project has something that
> looks like this:

[SNIP]

> At any rate all maven needs is the project.xml files (in some cases a
> maven.xml for pre/postGoals) and I think this will help really make the
> projects in the commons common :-) While trying to build the projects
> with the reactor I can see tons of little things that are slightly
> different that would throw new users off. Nothing serious, but I think
> this is an opportunity to unify and I believe Maven is at the point
> where it would more of a boon and less of an irritation.
>
> I would like to check in a master project.xml file and all the subclass
> builds. Maven doesn't have to generate an ant build or a gump descriptor
> so if a particular commons project wants to keep their hand-crafted
> build.xml file and gump descriptor then that works perfectly well.

I see no downside if people/projects can start using Maven as they choose,
as they come to appreciate it.  Is that right?

> I am an enthusiastic and excited

I am too tired to be enthusiastic and excited, but nonetheless if there are
no requirements placed on the components...

+1

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.
Research & Development, Adeptra Inc.