commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com>
Subject Re: Proposal: JSP/JSTL expression language
Date Sat, 20 Jul 2002 21:01:53 GMT
On 7/20/02 2:52 PM, "Shawn Bayern" <bayern@essentially.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Jul 2002, Juozas Baliuka wrote:
>
>> We can import code to sandbox without vote, but it is my -0 for a new
>> "el for JSP" in commons, I don't think it is something common for
>> Jakarta projects and it is possible to find a better place for "el".
>
> If you can suggest a better place, I'd be eager to hear it.  I'm proposing
> it to Commons primarily at the suggestion of Craig and others, and it does
> make sense to me:  it will be used at least by Jakarta Tomcat and Jakarta
> Taglibs.  We could continue to host it in Taglibs without too much
> trouble, but it seems more logical to locate a reusable component like
> this in Commons.  Is my understanding of Commons incorrect?

As the author of a 'competitive' package, jexl, that will feel some sort of
competitive pressure (meaning if anyone has anything to lose with it coming
to commons, I do...) I fully support it coming to commons.  If people wish
to be able to have a component that needs JSTL EL support, then a commons
component is the right idea.

That said, I do believe that you should reconsider 'el' as the package
name...

:)

> To put it another way, what reason is there for it not to belong here?
>
> Shawn
>

> --

Geir Magnusson Jr.
Research & Development, Adeptra Inc.