commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com>
Subject Re: Proposal: JSP/JSTL expression language
Date Thu, 18 Jul 2002 22:51:31 GMT
On 7/18/02 5:29 PM, "bob mcwhirter" <bob@werken.com> wrote:

>> Hi there.  I'm the reference-implementation lead for the JSP Standard Tag
>> Library (JSTL), which includes an expression language ("EL") that will
>> become the basis of JSP 2.0's expression language.  Because of the number
>> of different projects that need the EL, many of us thought it wise to
>> propose that Jakarta Commons host the implementation.  This will also
>> allow the addition of nonstandard features that some people desire, so
>> long as the code base has a mode of operation whereby the JSTL 1.0 and JSP
>> 2.0 standards (separately) obtain.
>
> Is this different from Jexl, which I thought was part of the reference
> impl of the JSTL?
>
>   http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/jexl/

Jexl is *not* in any way part of the RI.

Jexl strives to be compliant with the RI, but also extends it in what some
consider useful ways, such as access to arbitrary methods of objects in the
context.

I am all for JSTL becoming a Commons component if Jexl can as well.  If JSTL
rules out other competing implementations, I'm -1.

I'll put together a Jexl proposal as well.  Jelly is probably going to come
over the wall sometime as well, so as Jelly requires Jexl, I might as well
be here and ready :)

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.
Research & Development, Adeptra Inc.