commons-dev mailing list archives

From krupa <kr...@bond.co.uk>
Subject RE: Support for JDK1.4 Logger in Commons Package
Date Thu, 04 Jul 2002 08:12:20 GMT

From: Craig R. McClanahan [mailto:craigmcc@apache.org]
Sent: 03 July 2002 19:07
To: Jakarta Commons Developers List
Cc: 'Luke.Studley@cerillion.com'
Subject: Re: Support for JDK1.4 Logger in Commons Package

On Wed, 3 Jul 2002, krupa wrote:

> Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 11:20:40 +0100
> From: krupa <krupa@bond.co.uk>
> To: "'commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org'" <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
> Cc: "'Luke.Studley@cerillion.com'" <Luke.Studley@cerillion.com>
> Subject: Support for JDK1.4 Logger in Commons Package
>
> Hi there,
>        I have few issues when I am using Commons Logging Package...
>
> No Factories provided other than for Log4J:

You don't need a special factory for this -- the default factory supports
JDK 1.4 logging just fine (i.e. it creates instances of
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Jdk14Logger).  The actual JD 1.4 logging
configuration is done in the usual way (edit "logging.properties" in
$JAVA_HOME/jre/lib).

Thus, when I have a statement like this in my application class:

  Log log = LogFactory.getLog("foo");

and don't set any of the configuration variables, I get a Log4J logger
named "foo" if Log4J is present in the class path, or a JDK 1.4 logger if
Log4J is not present (and I'm running on 1.4, of course).

To be honest, I have no idea why Costin implemented o.a.c.l.i.Log4jFactory
as a separate factory implementation, instead of just tweaking the default
o.a.c.l.i.LogFactoryImpl class.  But the standard factory supports JDK 1.4
just fine for me.

Craig

This message, together with any attachments, is
confidential and is intended only for the use of
the addressee(s) and may contain information
which is covered by legal, professional or other
privilege. If you are not the intended recipient,
please destroy this E-mail and inform us.