commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertdon...@mac.com>
Subject Re: [betwixt] testing xml output
Date Tue, 02 Jul 2002 20:21:39 GMT

On Tuesday, July 2, 2002, at 08:20 AM, James Strachan wrote:

> From: "robert burrell donkin" <robertdonkin@mac.com
>> i've been looking at a few (subtle) betwixt bugs recently. (i'll fix them
>> once i have unit tests that can spot them.) i'm now convinced that we
>> really should be testing the xml output. this leads on to the question of
>> how to create these tests.
>>
>> i could probably start looking into xmlunit (in the sandbox) or is there
>> better way...?
>
> I've not looked too deeply into xmlunit but it seems like a good idea, so
> by
> all means go for it.

i've taken a look at what they have and it doesn't appear to be what i
need. what i need is to verify that the xml output is correct with the
right elements and attributes being created. i think that the easiest way
to do this will be to use a file with the correct xml in and compare DOM
trees.

xmlunit doesn't seem to be a very active. i think that i'll create the
stuff that i need in test for the moment. maybe later it could be
consolidated into xmlunit.

> Incidentally I'm attempting to add a JellyUnit module to Jelly so that we
> can perform XML based unit tests using either XPath or schemas like DTDs,
> RelaxNG or XML Schema - it should be all there in a week or so.

cool. maybe you should add sometime to the jakarta newsletter about all
the progress that's been made with jelly.

- robert