commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Dever <jsde...@sympatico.ca>
Subject Re: [httpclient] Need support for selecting the local interface for socket construction
Date Fri, 26 Jul 2002 00:15:21 GMT
Hey Dennis,

Thanks for the patch.  I'm not sure if there are any official guidelines for
patch submission, but here are some personal prefrences:

1) Single patch that modifies multiple files if necessisary.  A patch should be
"autonomous" and written to fix one thing or add one feature.  They are easier
to apply and back out that way.
2) Provide test cases.  Preferably a patch would add some Junit tests to show
a) that it works and b) what it does.
3) Create the diff from the httpclient/src directory "cvs diff -u
> somfile.diff".  That way the patch picks up the unit tests as well, but any
custom changes to the build environment are avoided.
4) Add your name to the authors list.  As a open source contributor, you are
entitled to add your name to the bottom of the authors list for each file that
you modify in a patch.

Anyway, these are not at all rules, just some suggestions.