commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Ortwin Glück" <ortwin.glu...@nose.ch>
Subject [httpclient] Volunteering to make SSL socket factory more flexible
Date Tue, 02 Jul 2002 13:14:06 GMT
Hi

At the moment the SSL socket is created with a call to
SSLSocketFactory.getDefault().createSocket(host,port) in HttpConnection.
Unfortunately this is not flexible enough when you want to use
implementations different from Sun's JSSE (which is subject to export
restrictions and does not allow instatiation of other implementations
with the getDefault() method). As our company uses SSLava
(www.phaos.com) we need a solution that allows to specify the
SSLSocketFactory to use.

We would like to make the following changes:
- HttpConnection: add setSSLSocketFactory(SSLSocketFactory)
An SSL connection will use the specified factory or the
SSLFactory.getDefault() otherwise. The factory must be set before open()
is called.

- HttpClient: add setSSLSocketFactory(SSLSocketFactory)
Acts as a facade to the underlying HttpConnection. The factory must be
set before startSession(...) is called.

These changes are compatible with existing applications.

Please let us know if you would like to incorporate the changes. We will
provide the patches within a couple of days.

Best Regards

Ortwin Glück

  NOSE applied intelligence ag      [perspectix-nose digital b.i]
                                    [www]      http://www.nose.ch
  ortwin glück                      [email] ortwin.glueck@nose.ch
  hardturmstrasse 171               [office]      +41-1-277 57 35
  8005 zurich                       [fax]         +41-1-277 57 12
  switzerland