commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Jeff Dever" <jdev...@nortelnetworks.com>
Subject RE: New User: HttpClient suitability for production usage.
Date Wed, 17 Jul 2002 15:46:46 GMT
Hey Scott,

First some history:
- The HttpClient code base initilly came from the Jakarta Slide project
sometime late last year.
- After stablization in the new repository, a new 1.0 release was made.
- Work towards a 2.0 release was done leading up to October 2001, 2.0aplha1
was released.
- Some excellent refactoring work was done with HttpMultiClient to allow for
thread awareness and concurrent connections.
- Early this year the project lost momentum and became somewhat idle
- Over the last month or so significant energy has returned to the project
- There are active contributors from North America, Swizerland, Austrailia
and many locations in between.

We are currently in preperation of a 2.0 release plan.  There is a list of
features in Bugzilla that we are voting on this week.  These votes will be
taken into consideration and the features will be prioritized into
milestones this weekend.  Shorly afterwards a release plan for 2.0 will be
proposed.

I personaly work at Nortelnetworks and am working on HttpClient for use in
an internal testing tool.  I did evaluate other http frameworks but settled
on this one for various reasons.

At the moment HttpClient is a little messy with the last release an old
alpha from last year and some inconsistancy in its
HttpClient/HttpMultiClient interfaces.  But these things are on the table to
be corrected.

My suggestion to you would be to check out the bug reports and vote on them
if you are interested.  Make any comments or suggestions (directly into the
bugs if they are bug specific or to this list otherwise (prefix your subject
line with [httpclient])).  You will be able to make a more informed decision
when the release plan comes out.

And hey, this is open development, we are happy to have your comments and
contributions!

HttpClient bugs and feature requests:
http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_sta
tus=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&product=Commons&component=Ht
tpClient