commons-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Germuska <...@germuska.com>
Subject [validator] Refactoring?
Date Thu, 04 Jul 2002 14:34:52 GMT
Hello:

I was interested in understanding Validator a little better, and it
seems like for now the best way to do that is in the source code.

As I'm looking at it, I'm applying a few refactorings, mostly just to
clarify the flow (Validator.validate() is over 200 lines long!)  Is it
enough to just make sure that the tests all continue to pass and then
submit a patch later?

The net number of lines changed will probably be pretty many, so I
thought it might be smarter to coordinate with Dave W and any other
people who are particularly interested in the validator component,
especially because I haven't used it extensively.  Perhaps it makes
sense to do more and smaller patches, if not in CVS then privately,
rather than have one huge patch that never gets committed because it's
hard to understand.

I don't claim to understand Validator well enough to do any refactorings
that go across classes -- I'm just extracting small private methods
where I think it helps clarify things.

Joe