commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Logging] Configuring JDK 1.4 logging
Date Sat, 20 Jul 2002 16:06:00 GMT

On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, Martin Cooper wrote:

> Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 22:46:01 -0700
> From: Martin Cooper <martin.cooper@tumbleweed.com>
> To: "'commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org'" <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: [Logging] Configuring JDK 1.4 logging
>
> OK, call me an idiot, but I just cannot seem to get Commons Logging and JDK
> 1.4 logging to log what I want logged. I understand that Commons Logging
> delegates to JDK 1.4 logging (in my particular case, since I'm using JDK 1.4
> but not Log4j), but nothing I do with logging.properties files makes any
> difference to what I see.
>
> According to the Commons Logging docs, if I'm using JDK 1.4, and I don't
> specify any other logging mechanism, then it will use JDK 1.4 logging. This
> much seems to work - I do see periodic INFO messages from code I'm using.
>
> Getting more than INFO messages is where I seem to be stuck. My
> interpretation of the Commons Logging docs is that I shouldn't have to
> configure anything for that, and that the only configuration I should have
> to do is for JDK 1.4 logging.

There is an interesting setting that is relevant if you are using the
default console handler (which I am) -- it sets the lowest logging level
that
is recorded to the console, no matter what an individual logger wants:

  java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler.level = FINEST

(the default is INFO).  This is listed in the "Handler specific
properties" of the default logging.properties file.

> However, I've created logging.properties files, per the JDK 1.4 logging
> docs, with the logging level turned up to FINEST for everything, and still I
> see nothing but the occasional INFO message. I've even tried splattering
> logging.properties files all over my disk in the hope that I'll stumble
> across the right location, and everything will start working, but to no
> avail.
>
> If there's someone out there who is successfully using Commons Logging with
> JDK 1.4 logging, I'd sure appreciate some hints and tips...
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Martin Cooper

Craig