commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposal: JSP/JSTL expression language
Date Thu, 18 Jul 2002 23:16:02 GMT

On Thu, 18 Jul 2002, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 18:53:27 -0400
> From: Geir Magnusson Jr. <geirm@adeptra.com>
> To: Jakarta Commons Developers List <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: Proposal: JSP/JSTL expression language
>
> On 7/18/02 5:44 PM, "Shawn Bayern" <bayern@essentially.net> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 18 Jul 2002, bob mcwhirter wrote:
> >
> >> Is this different from Jexl, which I thought was part of the reference
> >> impl of the JSTL?
> >>
> >>     http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/jexl/
> >
> > Yes, this is completely different from Jexl.  Jexl is not compliant with
> > either the JSTL 1.0 or running JSP 2.0 standard, and we never used it as
> > part of the JSTL RI.
>
> Related question - what can we do to test compliance with the EL of JSTL?  I
> am completely uninterested in JSTL compliance, as Jexl isn't related to any
> specific document/markup technology.

I would imagine that we'll have a set of unit tests in this repository,
just as we do for the other commons packages.  It might be possible to
adopt some sort of "here's a set of expressions and expected values"
things as part of that, which could be used for testing multiple
expression language implementations as part of this.

For formal compliance testing, however, there won't be a TCK for just the
expression language.  You'd have to pass the TCK for all of JSTL 1.0 (now)
or JSP 2.0 (later) because the EL is just a feature of those specs.

One way you might still be able to test Jexl directly would be to
implement a wrapper for the EL interpreter APIs in JSP 2.0 (package
javax.servlet.jsp.el), plug it in to a Tomcat 5 container, and run the JSP
2.0 tests against it.

> --
> Geir Magnusson Jr.

Craig