commons-dev mailing list archives

From Morgan Delagrange <mdela...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [latka] nightly build not availble
Date Tue, 09 Jul 2002 19:10:16 GMT
On a note related to building...

Now that the Latka/Maven integration seems to be
stabilizing a bit, I'm trying to recreate a build
environment for Latka again.  However the build.xml
script is confusing to me.  Are the following
assertions correct:

  1) The Latka build contains legacy (non-Maven)
     targets and variables.
  2) Those legacy elements cannot produce a
     successful build.

If both assertions are true, can we either maintain
them or remove them?  If I find it confusing, I
imagine that someone new to the project would find it
even more so.  I actually don't have a strong
preference whether we update them or remove them, as
long as Maven will live up to its hype.  :)

Also, I'm starting to come around to the idea of
moving the Latka taglib to commons.  Right now the
build dependencies are:

  webapp/servlets -> taglib -> lib

While I like the idea of hosting the taglib at
Taglibs, and I love Taglibs' TLD-generating
documentation, I doubt we'll get a satisfactory,
simple and complete Maven-based distribution while the
taglibs are in a separate project.  (Admittedly, the
pre-Maven build was barely adequate anyway.)

Also, mainly out of curiosity, how does Maven handle
optional dependencies?  E.g. will the Jelly stuff
(with which I am not yet acquainted) be optional at
build time?

- Morgan

http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-commons/nightly/commons-latka/commons

> http://adslgateway.multitask.com.au/developers