commons-dev mailing list archives

From Morgan Delagrange <mdela...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [commons-discovery] Promoting discovery from sandbox
Date Mon, 08 Jul 2002 23:24:58 GMT

--- costinm@covalent.net wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Jul 2002 rsitze@us.ibm.com wrote:
>
> > Discovery is a simple JAR file that implements a
> discovery pattern used
> > frequently (commons-logging is latest, AXIS is
> coming) for finding
> > implementations of interfaces/abstract classes.  I
> believe that it covers
> > the basics.
> >
> > Since it is small in scope, I am moving to get
> this out of the sandbox
> > after a quick submission/review process by
> interested individuals, with the
> > intent of integrating with commons-logging in the
> very near future (other
> > projects are of course welcome to adopt).
> >
> > Bottom Line:  I've reviewed the charter, & the
> process to follow is not
> > clear to me.  What's the next step?  Vote?
>
> My understanding is that a vote is needed, and you
> need 3 +1 ( and more
> +1 than -1 ). Well, I'm not very sure - but a vote
> is clearly needed,
> and if you get -1s or less than 3 +1s we can call
> our lawyers.

That's the protocol.  It's item 17 in the charter:

  "New packages may be proposed to the Jakarta
   Commons mailing list. To be accepted, a
   package proposal must receive majority
   approval of the subproject committers.
   Proposals are to identify the rationale for
   the package, its scope, its interaction
   with other packages and products, the
   Commons resources, if any, to be created,
   the initial source from which the package
   is to be created, and the initial set of
   committers.
     - As stated in the Jakarta guidelines,
       an action requiring majority approval
       must receive at least 3 binding +1
       votes and more +1 votes than -1 votes."

Sandbox components follow the same criteria as other
submissions.

- Morgan

=====
Morgan Delagrange