commons-dev mailing list archives

From Miguel A Paraz <mpa...@mparaz.com>
Subject Re: [Logging] NullPointerException at getCachedFactory/Hashtable in AxisServlet
Date Sat, 06 Jul 2002 14:02:16 GMT
I have found it...

On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 04:17:30PM +0100, Glyn Normington wrote:
> This may be a red herring, but it may help anyone digging into this
> problem.
>
> Hashtable can behave unpredictably (which could include throwing a NPE) if
> a key object is updated after it has been added to a Hashtable, especially
> if this changes the hash value of the key. The unpredictable behaviour
> surfaces when the Hashtable is next used to find the updated key because
> the key is held by reference in a position related to its original hash
> value. It is conceivable that this is what is happening here.

The hashtable is fine, but I found something that's beyond my Java knowledge.

  LogFactory.class.getClassLoader() == null

when it is used a key for factories.get() and is later passed to newFactory().

I looked it up in the javadocs:

  Some implementations may use null to represent the bootstrap class loader.
  This method will return null in such implementations if this class was
  loaded by the bootstrap class loader.

Does it have something to do with a change in my Tomcat setup?
I can't recall anything I did to trigger this condition.
Thanks!

--
http://mparaz.com
+63-916-423-7922