commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Support for JDK1.4 Logger in Commons Package
Date Wed, 03 Jul 2002 18:06:31 GMT

On Wed, 3 Jul 2002, krupa wrote:

> Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 11:20:40 +0100
> From: krupa <krupa@bond.co.uk>
> To: "'commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org'" <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
> Cc: "'Luke.Studley@cerillion.com'" <Luke.Studley@cerillion.com>
> Subject: Support for JDK1.4 Logger in Commons Package
>
> Hi there,
>        I have few issues when I am using Commons Logging Package...
>
> No Factories provided other than for Log4J:

You don't need a special factory for this -- the default factory supports
JDK 1.4 logging just fine (i.e. it creates instances of
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Jdk14Logger).  The actual JD 1.4 logging
configuration is done in the usual way (edit "logging.properties" in
$JAVA_HOME/jre/lib).

Thus, when I have a statement like this in my application class:

  Log log = LogFactory.getLog("foo");

and don't set any of the configuration variables, I get a Log4J logger
named "foo" if Log4J is present in the class path, or a JDK 1.4 logger if
Log4J is not present (and I'm running on 1.4, of course).

To be honest, I have no idea why Costin implemented o.a.c.l.i.Log4jFactory
as a separate factory implementation, instead of just tweaking the default
o.a.c.l.i.LogFactoryImpl class.  But the standard factory supports JDK 1.4
just fine for me.

Craig