commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <j...@socialchange.net.au>
Subject Re: [jelly] http and validation tag libraries
Date Mon, 01 Jul 2002 13:17:32 GMT
On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 07:07:22AM +0100, James Strachan wrote:
> From: "Jeff Turner" <jeff@socialchange.net.au>
> >
> > Embrace the Dark Side! Abandon this Jelly nonsense and come bang your
> > head against Ant oddities with Ovidiu and I in Anteater ;) ;)
>
> :-)
>
> Actually Jeff, Jelly should work really nicely with Anteater. You should be
> able to run all your Anteater stuff inside Jelly (since Jelly can run Ant
> tasks etc) then we can mix and match all of our testing makarkey. If nothing
> else you'd get decent expression languages like Jexl (which is spookily
> close to Velocity) to work with beans and XPath to work with XML and some
> tags for working with SQL and such like.

I'll give that a try. The thing is, everyday functional testing doesn't
seem to *need* Jelly's XML pipelining, expression language, or
procedural flow control. So far, I've found Ant's declarative style to
suit functional testing quite well, and it's other deficiencies are
work-aroundable.

Yet I can see that Jelly's capabilities, like iterating through XML, may
prove very useful for advanced functional testing. There may be
operations like "fetch a WSDL doc, drill down till you hit the ports,
test each port". Some use-cases like this would help make the goals
clear.

--Jeff