commons-dev mailing list archives

From Bob Herrmann <...@jadn.com>
Subject Re: [Logging] more issues with stack reading
Date Thu, 25 Jul 2002 18:44:32 GMT
On Thu, 2002-07-25 at 14:16, Patrick Luby wrote:
> Costin and Bob,
>
> costinm@covalent.net wrote:
> >
> > The problem we're having is support for the old wrappers in
> > tomcat, as we need to filter them out too. We're trying to
> > get commons-logging used everywhere, but keep backward
> > compatibility since the Logger/Log interface is part of the
> > tomcat APIs.
> >

> I may be missing something, but would a possible approach be to change
> all of the Logger/Log interface calls to commons-logging in the new
> version of Tomcat (i.e. jakarta-tomcat-5). Since this is a very new
> workspace, it seems the safest place to make the switch (messing with
> Tomcat 4.x seems too risky to me). This would eliminate the need to put
> in a Tomcat-specific class into commons-logging.
>
> What do you think?

$ cd jakarta-tomcat-4.0
$ grep -i -l 'void.*log(' `find . -name *.java`|wc -l
     65

Looks like 65 classes need to be beaten into using commons-logging.  I
will take a stab at this and see if it is simply cut/past/click/drag or
if other nasty issues start popping up.  Learn by doing, yippie. :-)

Cheers,
-bob