commons-dev mailing list archives

From John Keyes <j...@mac.com>
Subject RE: [CLI] Making Option Extensible
Date Wed, 24 Jul 2002 14:25:00 GMT
<snip/>

> I heard a rumor that Commons CLI does not support the GNU standards
> on CLI options.  GNU standards have already affected a large number
> of standard software options for UNIX based Oss, and it is a decently
> thought out standard.  The basic gist is this:
>
> --help
> -h

CLI does support GNU standards.  The examples above are both
supported.  The reason why the short option name in the constructor
takes a String is to support Posix standards e.g. -buildfile is the
'buildfile' option, not '-b -u -i -l -d -f -i -l -e' or '-b' with
an argument value of 'uildfile', or any combination.  The interface
could be changed to have methods that take chars which then delegate
to the String methods but its no big deal.

-John K