commons-dev mailing list archives

From Bob Herrmann <...@jadn.com>
Subject [logging] PATCH] JDK 1.4 Logging
Date Tue, 23 Jul 2002 21:10:10 GMT

On Tue, 2002-07-23 at 15:03, Bob Herrmann wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-07-22 at 14:18, costinm@covalent.net wrote:
> >
> > I think there is a simpler solution for this class of problems, and
> > that would also work with log4j and doesn't require _any_ API
change.
> > ( only changes to the adapter implementations )
> >
> > Any 'wrapper' will use:
> >   factory=LogFactory.getFactory();
> >
> >   factory.setAttribute( "commons-logging.wrapperClass",
> >                         "[CLASSNAME-OF-WRAPPER]");
> >   factory.getLog(), etc.

Hi.  This patch to commons logging allow you to specify which methods
in the call stack are uninteresting when using the JDK1.4 Logger. In
Tomcat this seems to be all methods named "log" and "internalLog."  This
is based on Costin's idea of uninteresting classes, but seems to work
better for method names (in Tomcat anyway.)

It is something of a back door.  It is primarily for projects that
are in the process of converting to using commons-logging.

Is this an acceptable change to commons-logging ?

Cheers,
-bob

P.S. this patch is updated from the one posted to tomcat-dev