commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>
Subject Re: Maven "Craig" feature added :-)
Date Thu, 11 Jul 2002 21:46:07 GMT
On Thu, 2002-07-11 at 17:36, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> Wow, I feel so important!  A feature named after *me*  :-)

That's what it will officially be referred to from now on ;-)

> > jvanzyl     2002/07/11 11:53:09
> >
> >   Modified:    src/bin  driver.jelly
> >   Log:
> >   o This change adds support for the 'Craig' feature :-)
> >
> >     If you have:
> >
> >     maven.jar.override = on
> >
> >     set then you can specify properties like the following:
> >
> >     maven.jar.commons-beanutils = /path/to/commons-beanutils.jar
> >     maven.jar.commons-digester = /path/to/commons-digester.jar
> >
> >     And they will override the dependency specified in the POM.
> >
> >     This is preliminary but is working and shouldn't affect anyone
> >     because the maven.jar.override needs to be present and on and
> >     you need the special properties as well.
> >

> In principle it sounds like this would do the trick.
>
> These would go in your project.properties file, right?  Since that file is
> checked in to CVS (at least on the Mavenized projects I've seen), I
> presume there is some mechanism for local overrides (like what most Ant
> build scripts do with build.properties files)?

For testing I defined them in my ~/build.properties file. In maven at
the moment that last definition of a property wins (the reverse of ant)
so you could override at the project level if you wanted. But I don't
think that would happen much as the project.xml defines the version to
use at the project level. But you could override it if you wanted.

> I also kinda like Costin's suggestion about using property names more
> familiar to folks who have built build.xml scripts (and associated
> properties files) in the past.

All I need is the unique project id, in our example commons-beanutils,
so using the method currently used is perfectly acceptable.

> You'd certainly want to have a separate
> "override.properties" file (or something) for these, to avoid potential
> name clashes.

Not sure I follow ... you mean if maven.override.jars = on then consult
the special override.properties file? Would it have to be in a separate
file?

At any rate, it's wide open and can be changed to accommodate users.

> > --
> > jvz.
> >

> Craig
>

> --