commons-dev mailing list archives

From Evert Hoff <evert.h...@pixie.co.za>
Subject Re: [HttpClient] SSL proxy tunneling
Date Wed, 10 Jul 2002 15:02:46 GMT
Hi Ortwin,

This is already implemented in the code that I sent yesterday and it
works, but I like your approach better - it is simpler and cleaner.

Please consider what Sachin and I have in
HttpConnection.doTunnelHandshake() and then create your own patch.

Dion - I am no longer going to try to get my changes to work with
HttpClient as well. With Ortwin's approach this is going to be easier.

I also tried today to find a way of merging HttpClient and
HttpMultiClient, but this is not as easy as I thought and I am chasing a
moving target with all the changes being contributed at the moment. So,
I give up, for now.

Evert

On Wed, 2002-07-10 at 16:53, Ortwin Glück wrote:
> The current implementation can not handle SSL through proxies correctly.
> I was trying to make a patch today but ran across a design flaw in the
> current code.
>
> I just wrote a CONNECT method wrapper (see attachment) which is called
> in HttpClient.open:
>
>          if (!connection.isOpen()) {
>              connection.open();
>              if (connection.isProxied() && connection.isSecure()) {
>                  method = new ConnectMethod(method);
>              }
>          }
> 	return method.execute(getState(),connection);
>
> The problem arises from the fact that the secure socket is opened in
> HttpConnetion.open *before* any CONNECT request can be sent.
>
> The process of establishing a tunnel is:
> 1. open ordinary socket to proxy
> 2. request tunnel from the proxy
> 3. notify the connection that tunnel is established
> 4. connection switches to secure socket
> 5. encrypted communication
>
> SSLSocketFactory.createSocket(Socket s, String host, int port, boolean
> autoClose) is tailored for this purpose. It takes an existing socket and
> uses it as a tunnel.
>
> I suggest that we add a HttpConnection.tunnelEstablished method. If a
> connection is secure and proxied an ordinary socket is acquired at first
> and is replaced by the secure socket when this method is called. The
> method needs proper state checking as well.
>
> Comments are welcome.
> --
>   NOSE applied intelligence ag      [perspectix-nose digital b.i]
>                                     [www]      http://www.nose.ch
>   ortwin glück                      [email] ortwin.glueck@nose.ch
>   hardturmstrasse 171               [office]      +41-1-277 57 35
>   8005 zurich                       [fax]         +41-1-277 57 12
>   switzerland
>
> ----
>

> package org.apache.commons.httpclient;
>
> import java.io.IOException;
> /**
>  * <p>Wraps another method to tunnel through a proxy.</p>
>  * @author Ortwin Glück
>  * @version $Revision: 1.0 $ $Date: 2002/07/10 15:22:00 $
>  */
>
> public class ConnectMethod extends HttpMethodBase {
>     private HttpMethod method;
>
>     public ConnectMethod(HttpMethod method) {
>         this.method = method;
>     }
>
>     public String getName() {
>         return "CONNECT";
>     }
>
>     public int execute(HttpState state, HttpConnection connection) throws IOException,
HttpException {
>         int code = super.execute(state,  connection);
>         if ((code >= 200) && (code < 300)) {
>             code = method.execute(state, connection);
>         }
>         return code;
>     }
>
>     protected void writeRequestHeaders(HttpState state, HttpConnection conn) throws HttpException,
IOException {