commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>
Subject Re: [jelly] Problems running unit tests?
Date Mon, 08 Jul 2002 17:56:13 GMT
On Mon, 2002-07-08 at 13:39, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> > I just did it for jelly now, I did it for betwixt first by mistake. Got
> > my betwixt betwixted :-)
> >

> :-)
>
> Hate to be a pest, but is there supposed to be a build.xml for jelly now?
> I only see build-legacy.xml (which of course still exhibits the problem
> for me, because it was just a copy).

Sorry, it's in there now. I removed/added to prevent the massive diff
and but forgot the add part :-)

> > > BTW, why does the generated build.xml for betwixt copy dependencies into a
> > > local lib directory instead of using the lib.repo repository?
> >
> > I am assuming that the user has no concept of lib.repo so that the build
> > will work out of the box. I can certainly add a warning if the property
> > and directory don't exist but I figured ease of use first. I would
> > certainly like to share resources and I like a central repository but we
> > haven't decided anything as a group and wasn't going to make any more
> > assumptions after the last round bickering.
> >

> Makes sense.
>
> While I've got your attention, can I add a wish list item for Maven?

Sure!

> I'd
> like to be able to override the declared dependency version in some
> circumstances -- for example, I'm going to create a webapp that combines
> lots of different JARs that all depend on (say) commons-beanutils.jar, and
> I want to make sure that I can compile and test all the components against
> a single named version of beanutils.

So each of the individual projects that contribute a JAR to the WAR may
use different versions of beanutils but you want to override this value
where the onus is on you to make sure things work? Just making sure I
understand. I don't think this would be problem and would certainly make
sense for integrations like you're describing.

> Since the webapp is all going to run
> out of a single WAR file (and therefore share a single copy of the
> beanutils JAR file), this is the only way I've got to ensure that I won't
> get method mismatches at runtime caused by compiling different packages
> against different versions of beanutils.

Ok, that's a use case I'm sure many integrators will face. See what I
can pop in. Are you going to test it when I'm done ;-)

> Craig
>

> > > Craig

> > --
> > jvz.
> >
> > Jason van Zyl
> > jason@apache.org
> > http://tambora.zenplex.org
> >
> > In short, man creates for himself a new religion of a rational
> > and technical order to justify his work and to be justified in it.
> >
> >   -- Jacques Ellul, The Technological Society
> >

> > --
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@apache.org