commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Erik Hatcher" <li...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject [ betwixt / logging ] SecurityException being thrown
Date Tue, 02 Jul 2002 03:36:14 GMT
I'm attempting to use Betwixt in an environment where there is a fairly
strict custom SecurityManager in use (I don't know the specifics of it, just
that it prevent Betwixt from working).  Here is the exception I'm getting:

java.lang.SecurityException: attempt to add a Permission to a readonly
Permissions object
   at java.security.Permissions.add(Permissions.java:90)
   at java.net.URLClassLoader.getPermissions(URLClassLoader.java:468)
   at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.getPermissions(Launcher.java:294)
   at
java.security.SecureClassLoader.getProtectionDomain(SecureClassLoader.java:1
   at
java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:111)
   at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:248)
   at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:56)
   at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(NativeMethod)
   at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:286)
   at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:315)
   at org.apache.commons.betwixt.io.BeanWriter.<init>(BeanWriter.java:144)

The issue appears to come from the use of Commons Logging, as Betwixt
instantiates this instance variable:

    private Log log = LogFactory.getLog( BeanWriter.class );

Has anyone encountered this type of scenario and found a way to address it?
Is there some way I can configure it to not attempt risky things and somehow
let me use the no-op logger.  All I want is a bean to turn into XML, and I'm
not interested in any of the possible logging output.

Thanks,
    Erik