commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Juozas Baliuka" <bali...@centras.lt>
Subject Re: Proposal: JSP/JSTL expression language
Date Sat, 20 Jul 2002 09:45:36 GMT
100% agree with you. There are a lot of "good" scripts, languages and QL's,
it is not a problem to invent a new one, but it is better to allows users to
write or
use some "the best" language.

We can import code to sandbox without vote, but it is my
-0 for a new "el for JSP" in commons, I don't think it is something common
for Jakarta
projects and it is possible to find a better place for "el".

BTW:
commons-sandbox/jex is an interface for plugged in syntaxes for evaluation.

> +1 on joining commons, but...
>
> My query is over how general the interface could be. I haven't looked at
it
> in much detail, but it seems like there are multiple possible 'element
> language' syntaxes - JSP and JEXL are only two. What about xpath for
> example? Is the plan to create an interface that allows users to write
their
> own plugged in syntaxes? If so, maybe 'path' is a more general name than
> 'el'.
>
> eg.
> Path.evaluate("fred.bob.vera", Path.JEXL);
> Path.evaluate("fred/bob/vera[0]", Path.XPATH);
>
> Stephen

Standard
> Tag
> will
> number
> so
> and JSP

> > > Jexl is *not* in any way part of the RI.
> > >
> > > Jexl strives to be compliant with the RI, but also extends it in what
> some
> > > consider useful ways, such as access to arbitrary methods of objects
in
> the
> > > context.
> > >
> > > I am all for JSTL becoming a Commons component if Jexl can as well.
If