commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Stephen Colebourne" <>
Subject Re: [lang] Commons.Lang promotable?
Date Wed, 17 Jul 2002 22:32:40 GMT
From: "Berin Loritsch" <>
> I disagree.  When you look at java.util.StringTokenizer, when
> you have multiple characters in the delimiter, it means that
> any one of those characters splits a token.
> You just need to document it explicitly that it strips all
> characters until it encounters the first character that is not
> in the delimiter list.

+1, but when I glanced at the code I didn't think that was what it actually

> What real use would there be if we only striped out the token
> "ab"?  I can do that by calling m_str.SubString( "ab".length,
> m_str.length() );

Well I guess repeated "ab"s could be stripped, but thats a very odd use

> The only thing I can think of is to add another parameter that
> is a boolean to flag wether the algorithm respects the sequence
> of characters in the delimiter or not.

-1. I don't think the use case is sufficiently strong for the third method.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message