commons-dev mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: [jelly] http and validation tag libraries
Date Mon, 01 Jul 2002 18:38:50 GMT
From: "Jeff Turner" <jeff@socialchange.net.au>
> I'll give that a try. The thing is, everyday functional testing doesn't
> seem to *need* Jelly's XML pipelining, expression language, or
> procedural flow control. So far, I've found Ant's declarative style to
> suit functional testing quite well, and it's other deficiencies are
> work-aroundable.

Agreed - I don't think a lot of functonal testing *needs* Jelly though it'll
be interesting to see what kind of things can be done. Certainly its for
'advanced stuff' really.

> Yet I can see that Jelly's capabilities, like iterating through XML, may
> prove very useful for advanced functional testing. There may be
> operations like "fetch a WSDL doc, drill down till you hit the ports,
> test each port". Some use-cases like this would help make the goals
> clear.

Well said. I think when the SOAP scripting & testing stuff is working, the
use cases will become more clear. Especially when folks can create
tag-macros for working with SOAP/WSDL/WSIF as well with 'Velocity' (well
Jexl really) & XPath, while mixing and matching Ant tasks & AntEater and
JSTL we'll have a pretty powerful scripting/testing tool. In a couple of
weeks I think the use-cases of Jelly will become much more clear.

James