commons-dev mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: [jelly] http and validation tag libraries
Date Mon, 01 Jul 2002 17:10:06 GMT
From: "Jeff Turner" <jeff@socialchange.net.au>
> On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 08:27:09AM +0100, Vincent Massol wrote:
> > Note: WRT to Jelly, try it you may like it ... :-) (If you haven't done
> > so already !).
>
> lol.. Jelly is obviously cool, and I bet if someone integrated it with
> an MVC framework like Maverick, we'd have the makings of a
> Cocoon-killer.

:-)

Though Jelly could also be a nice Generator for Cocoon too!

> I was just questioning it's relevance to functional testing, where I
> have first-hand experience that Ant does a perfectly adequate job. It
> sounds like Jelly can provide a superset of Ant functionality with few
> disadvantages, so I'll now shut up, go back to making Anteater the
> rockingest little testing framework currently available :) and keep an
> eye out for helping with Latka 2, particularly in the area of defining
> reusable (read: stealable) APIs.

Great! :-)

I understand and hear you Jeff. If Ant does a fine job for what you're
trying to do then thats fine, don't worry about Jelly. Jelly may only be
necessary for 'complex' stuff.

e.g. I'm doing lots of unit testing of JMS / SQL / beans / XML and such like
where the source data for the tests often comes from SQL or XML. Rather than
writing reams and reams of Java tests with different values hard coded in
them, I'm iterating over SQL or XML creating tests, examining SQL results,
doing HTTP and such like. I guess there's many ways to do testing. So long
as everythings plug and play, I guess we all benefit.

James