commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Berin Loritsch" <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [lang] JDK 1.0/1.1
Date Thu, 11 Jul 2002 18:53:21 GMT
> From: Henri Yandell [mailto:bayard@generationjava.com]
>
> There's the MS crap, latest thing being the MS JVM coming
> back at 1.1.4, so that's of interest, but there's also the
> whole J2ME world where half of the semi-J2ME compliant
> systems are actually PersonalJavas pretty much. PJ was just
> java 1.1 with some bits hacked on. J2ME is the same I think.
> Equally, J2ME does get the collections in java.util I
> believe, so that could help.

Microsoft is really only of academic interest.  Yes they just
released another version of their JDK 1.1.4, but it is just
as nonstandard now as it was then.

As to J2ME, constrained devices present some serious issues.

> What I basically realised, which kicked this off, is that
> Lang is not a server component, but a component for use in
> any Java. It's hopefully going to get a lot of server side
> use, but no reason why the embedded world wouldn't see fit to
> use it unless space was an absolute premium.

My PDA has 2MB of memory for ALL my apps and ALL my data.  Phones
are not going to be much different.  The newer PDAs have a quite
roomy 8MB or more of RAM.

The important thing to realize with people developing J2ME is
that every bit counts.  Embedded programming is viewed more along
the lines of firmware than it is software.  As such, most J2ME
developers would most likely opt to redo as opposed to reuse.
If they do use Java Lang, it will definitely not be the whole
jar.  They will pull out the classes they need, and repackage it
inside their application.