commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Berin Loritsch" <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [collections] Avalon excalibur collections migration status
Date Wed, 10 Jul 2002 13:25:09 GMT
> From: Michael A. Smith [mailto:mas@apache.org]
>
> On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> > Michael A. Smith wrote:
> > >
> > > I believe everything has been moved.  I have been planning on
> > > summarizing the changes between the Avalon version and the
> > > collections version and sending that out to all you
> avalon guys, but
> > > haven't found the time yet.  I'd also like to start pushing to
> > > another collections release so you guys can start using the
> > > collections version in your releases, although I know
> there's still
> > > a bunch to be done before we can release anything.
> >
> > What is there still to do?
> >
> > Please do a quick briefing ASAP, because some developers
> already asked
> > me if they can start switching to the new classes :-)
>
> After taking a closer look....
>

> MIGRATION FROM AVALON EXCALIBUR'S COLLECTIONS
>
> CircularBuffer has not yet been migrated.

CircularBuffer is deprecated in favor of the Buffer classes.
It offers no additional functionality beyond the variable
sized buffer (in fact the variable size buffer was an adaptation
and cleanup of CircularBuffer).

> BinaryHeap, PriorityQueue, and BucketMap have changed in
> Avalon since they were copied to commons.  There have been
> changes in the commons version as well, so merging may not be
> easy (it isn't helped by the fact that avalon's code was restylized).

I would venture to say that BinaryHeap and PriorityQueue are farther
along in Commons.  The only changes to BucketMap were the hashing
algorithm.  Anything else was trying to keep up with the discussions
on commons.  Use the commons version, and possibly use the new hashing
algorithm (protects against poor hashes).

> CHANGES FOR EXCALIBUR USERS TO BECOME COMMONS USERS FOR COLLECTIONS
>
> There may be additional changes depending on the completion of the
> migration (e.g. CircularBuffer users may need to change their class
> names or something).

CircularBuffer has been deprecated for quite a few months now.  I
doubt there are any current users.