commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Berin Loritsch" <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [io] new classes and .compress.* packages from Avalon Excalibur
Date Wed, 10 Jul 2002 13:18:31 GMT
> From: Nicola Ken Barozzi [mailto:nicolaken@apache.org]
>
> Berin Loritsch wrote:
> > Nicola, if something is currently an Avalon Component, it needs to
> > stay in Avalon.
>
> Don't be so selfish ;-)
>
>  > That means that SourceResolver, Cache, XML
> > Bundle, and such stay.
>
> Why? Is there a need for them to be Components?
> Aren't we gonna use services?

Services are components.  The implementations use and implement
Avalon lifecycle stages.  If you want to go through and reengineer
all of them, then that is on you.

> Cache basically has only the Component marker interface.
> There is already a cache in commons, and I don't like this
> dichotomy, as
> well as the logging one, but that's another story.
>
> Ok, I won't push them now anyway.

And the implementations?  The work interface isn't going to
(or at least should not) use Avalon lifecycle interfaces.  The
classes that do the work will.

> > Only things that are not Avalon components should get
> moved. Hopefully
> > that lightens your load a little bit.
>
> Surely they will be last, and only when the others are
> already released
> in commons and deleted from the excalibur CVS.

So far please just concentrate on what we had voted on to move--
expanding that requires another vote.  Let's just not get into
that right now.

One step at a time, please.