commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Stephen Colebourne" <scolebou...@btopenworld.com>
Subject [IO] Preparing for promotion of io
Date Sun, 14 Jul 2002 11:14:20 GMT
At present, there are methods in both FileUtil and FileUtils that do similar
things, but differently. These classes should be merged (according to the
naming convention, see below).

IMHO, each method in _all_ IO classes needs to be examined to see if:
- it adds benefit
- it fits best in that class, or whether a separate Utils class would be
better
- it is a duplicate
- it is tested
- it should be public, or could be private/package scoped
- it handles nulls/illegal arguments/exceptions consistently
- licence is correct in every file

This is the process undertaken in Lang. As a result, some methods/classes
have been moved to the Util backwater, some methods were broken out of
Strings into their own classes. And some minor new functionality was added.
For example in IO, it may be worth considering if the file filters should be
in their own package. Or maybe inner classes of a factory FileFilterUtils
class. Also a CompressUtils might be useful to provide a front end to the
various compression schemes.

IO needs a licence file in the IO folder, not ../licence (plus change to
build.xml).

Naming conventions are still under discussion at Lang. I suggest that IO
devotees should input into that discussion to try to be consistent accross
Commons.

Deprecated methods should be removed before promotion. Now is the time to
take the pain, or you may be left with them forevermore.

I may be able to help with some of this, but I am definitely pushed for time
at present ;-)

Stephen