commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Stephen Colebourne" <scolebou...@btopenworld.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] char iteration
Date Tue, 16 Jul 2002 17:50:03 GMT
Can you point us at a link with the code, or javadoc for a little more info.
I haven't quite 'got it' yet.

Stephen

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ola Berg" <ola.berg@arkitema.se>
To: <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 12:29 PM
Subject: [PROPOSAL] char iteration

> In several of my projects, there is a common interface called CharIterator
(in process of rework, I think CharStream is a better name). I have it in my
io-classes, in my config framework, in my template engine, but firstmost I
have it in my parser framework (a system for building fast and lightweight
parsers using the State pattern and building parsing state machines).

> I would like to donate the parser framework, as I think that it would fit
as a jakarta-API, but I think that:

> a) the char iteration mechanism should be provided separately and merged
with similar efforts, as it is better to have _one_ single notion of a
serial view on character (and byte) sequences in _all_ jakarta projects.

> b) The concept is low-level and useful in disparate areas, so it should be
taken in consideration as a candidate member of the core family of commons
packages, or having the interface published in some interfaces/patterns
package.

> What do you think? Is char iteration something for commons-core to deal
with (I think it is)? Can we merge the different jakarta solutions on char
(and possibly byte) iteration into one fruitful concept?

> And a separate and less important question: would a parser helper
framework fit? I think it might, as text parsing is a common task, but I
don\'t want to donate something that would lead to more confusion or less
interoperability between the existing jakarta components.