commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Vincent Massol" <vmas...@octo.com>
Subject RE: [jelly] http and validation tag libraries
Date Mon, 01 Jul 2002 07:27:09 GMT

[snip]

> Somewhat curious as to why everyone's so keen to reuse the JUnit API
8-)
> I've found it to be so tightly engineered and 'pattern dense' that
it's
> hard to reuse outside it's intended scope. JUnit goes to a lot of
effort
> to isolate TestCases, and for functional testing we *want* to share
> information like session data. Once you've thrown away the testXxx()
> method introspection, startUp(), tearDown(), and all that, what's
left?

- Mostly the tools and the front ends (TestRunner) : you can find JUnit
integration in any IDE. In addition, why reinvent a new testing
framework API when there is one already. I do agree with your remark of
TestCase isolation for functional test cases. However, it does not seem
to be such a problem to use JUnit for that (see my other email on the
same thread). That said, I need to verify that what I wrote is correct

Then you get the following additional benefits :
- people already know how to use your framework because the interface
(TestRunner) is standard (de facto)
- you get documentation/support/etc for free for your testing front end
- the JUnit name is a good seller ... :-)

-Vincent

Note: WRT to Jelly, try it you may like it ... :-) (If you haven't done
so already !).