commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Berin Loritsch" <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [CLI] Making Option Extensible
Date Wed, 24 Jul 2002 16:35:01 GMT
> From: John Keyes [mailto:jbjk@mac.com]
>
> On Wed, 2002-07-24 at 17:02, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> > > From: John Keyes [mailto:jbjk@mac.com]
> > >
> > > On Wed, 2002-07-24 at 16:27, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote: <snip>
> commons CLI
> > > something more, and
> > > I wish that someone from Avalon would step forward ;)
> >
> > So Nicola and I don't count?
> (It did end with a smiley;)

I forgot to ;P

> What I meant was if there is another issue other than the
> GNU support could someone please let us know.

As I don't have any other concerns, I don't think so.  Are there
docs for the Commons CLI package?  I want to see how different
it is to set up the options for a program.

> > We need a release first.  If Commons CLI can produce
> compatible user
> > interface (i.e. scripts that pass options to your Java
> project don't
> > have to change), then Let's release Commons CLI and we can
> deprecate
> > Avalon CLI.
>
> I don't get the i.e. part of that sentence, what scripts?
> Could you show an example of this?

In some projects we have startup scripts that pass the options
in to be parsed, kind of like this:

phoenix.sh --apps-dir /home/phoenix/apps

Other scripts might call your project directly:

#!/bin/sh

# Do some setup stuff

# Call myproject's Java tool

java -jar myproject.jar --project-opt foo -kbar