commons-dev mailing list archives

From cost...@covalent.net
Subject Re: unmavenising Commons projects
Date Mon, 24 Jun 2002 17:59:43 GMT
On Tue, 25 Jun 2002 dion@multitask.com.au wrote:

> Costin,
>
> I'll -1 any change to use centipede until it's a 1.0 release, and a vote's
> been called, since they're the rules you seem to be applying here :)

Well, if it is ok to use maven which is not a 1.0 release, why do you
feel it's not ok to use centipede betas ?

The whole point is that Gump ( and hopefully centipede ) doesn't require
a project to 'change to use gump', it can adapt to the project's build
structure. Gump curently builds all jakarta and only few projects
maintain the descriptors.

If Centipeded can do that - of course it'll be a vote on each project
on using it, and the commiters should state their opinion.

( I'm personally more interested in tomcat, since building it is
harder than most commons components ).

> FWIW Centipede is more like Maven than Gump, and actually integrates with
> Gump rather than tries to replace it. So feel free to discuss centipede,
> but keep it on topic ( :-) ), or use the centipede mailing lists over on
> sourceforge, since questions about what Centipede can do belong there.

The topis is improving the build system on commons - probably jakarta
general would be a better topic, and probably tomcat-dev and each project
list if/when Maven/Centipede/watever are able to do what gump does ( and
more ).

I haven't look too much at centipede - I just heard the claim that it
can solve my itch, and I'll try to find if it's true.

Costin