commons-dev mailing list archives

From cost...@covalent.net
Subject Re: unmavenising Commons projects
Date Sun, 23 Jun 2002 19:03:06 GMT
On Sun, 23 Jun 2002 dion@multitask.com.au wrote:

> Costin,
> Maven is about more than just build files. Notice how some commons sandbox

Yes, Ant is about build files and building, and building is my
concern. I would like to be able to use Ant for building, with minimal
interference.

If maven can't deal with the 'plain' ant at least at the same level
with Gump, I don't care about the other features, and I'll wait
for another tool that provides them without 'deprecating' build.xml
or trying to make ant a 'legacy'.

> Again, how much of the existing maven process must be available in a
> vanilla ant build file?

I think every common component should build with plain ant -creating
the 'jar' at least, since that's what other projects need. If the
commiters of a component decide to generate build.xml - that's fine, but
I'll not vote for that in the projects I work.

I won't use Maven for myself or in a project until it can support the
current build files at least as well as gump - but I don't want to
stop others from using maven ( as long as they don't force me to
use it ).

Removing the ant file in a component without a vote is unacceptable
regardless of what Maven does.

Costin