commons-dev mailing list archives

From cost...@covalent.net
Subject Re: unmavenising Commons projects
Date Sat, 22 Jun 2002 21:13:16 GMT
On 21 Jun 2002, Jason van Zyl wrote:

> If we are going to do that then we should also specify a standard which
> is the point of Maven: to unify the build process. Commons components

I don't think you can 'unify' the build process by forcing everyone to
use a single style and stop using 'legacy' ant. Even with all the problems
it has, gump shows very clearly that it is possible to create an unified
build process where each project can keep it's own style.

I don't think I'll use maven to build projects until it is at least
at the same level with gump.

If you can make Maven to use the existing build.xml files ( which
shouldn't be very difficult, if Gump can do it with shell and xslt ) -
I'll switch to maven. If you can support the gump project descriptors,
then all jakarta will be buit with maven, and I don't think anyone
could complain.

As for 'common policy/style' for all commons packages - yes, it
would be nice, but so far we don't seem to have any agreement
on this. And that's a pretty good sign that it's the build system
that should be able to adapt, instead of forcing everyone in
jakarta to adapt to a new build system.

This has nothing to do with the subject of this thread - which is
the requirement to discuss and vote on major changes, like deprecating
the ant build file ( which happened in commons ).

Costin