commons-dev mailing list archives

From cost...@covalent.net
Subject Re: unmavenising Commons projects
Date Sat, 22 Jun 2002 06:36:46 GMT
On Sat, 22 Jun 2002, Henri Yandell wrote:

> Maven is just another build tool. Why not use it instead of ant in the
> end? Given the great quality of documentation that Maven has, I think it's

This is not about using maven of Makefiles - it is about having the
common sense of making a proposal and discussing it.

I can't believe this is happening - and in commons of all places !
I don't think such a thing would be acceptable in any jakarta project -
and commons is what many projects depend on.

> going to be a lot easier for a cvs-user to use than ant currently is.
> It took me ages to get to the point of having ANT_HOME defined and knowing
> to always put junit.jar in my ant-lib directory and to get optional jar
> etc. Maven blows that away. Let's seriously consider a Mavenised Commons.

Let's first see Maven 1.0 released, see if jakarta projects are switching
or not, and then do changes in commons.

There are badly written build.xml files, and a lack of common conventions
- but so far gump seems to be able to deal with each projects' style
without asking anyone to change their build files.

Costin