commons-dev mailing list archives

From cost...@covalent.net
Subject Re: unmavenising Commons projects
Date Fri, 21 Jun 2002 22:25:23 GMT
On 21 Jun 2002, John McNally wrote:

> On Fri, 2002-06-21 at 14:12, costinm@covalent.net wrote:
> >
> > I don't remember seeing any proposal or vote on requiring maven for
> > the builds of commons components.
>
> Where does it say a vote is required for a component to choose a build
> system, other than the usual vote by committers to the component?

I don't remember seeing any vote on this subject - by commiters of the
components.

I may have missed it, but 10 votes would mean at least 30 messages, I
would have noticed it. Do you have pointers to the votes ?

> > We do have a requirement minimising external dependencies, and
> > the commons components must be built and used by people who use
> > a variety of build systems.
>
> The requirement minimizing external dependencies is useful for users of
> the components.  Whether a component is built using maven or directly
> using ant does not affect whether the component can be used within a
> larger project.

It does - people working on a project should be able to build easily
all the components from commons they are using. Don't forget those
components are shared by all projects - we all use them and maintain
them.

> Your requirement that any component wanting to use a standardized build
> system also keep a freestyle version that must be kept up-to-date
> removes the benefit of using the standardized version.  Keeping two
> build systems that must be maintained separately is not a reasonable
> compromise.

There are projects that maintain both Makefile and ant, and I don't
think it's unreasonable.

I'm not aware of any other 'standard' for build.xml files except the
one that jakarta-ant defines.

Costin