commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Michael A. Smith" <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Reflect] Summary of points and relationship with BeanUtils
Date Wed, 19 Jun 2002 20:40:35 GMT
On Wed, 19 Jun 2002, Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> > therefore
> > code cannot be refactored from existing released components into the
> > sandbox.
>
> I think this is a timing issue. Promoting Lang to Commons will probably only
> occur when Lang is ready for a release. But, for Lang to be ready for a
> release it would need to already have the low level reflection code in it.
> Chicken and egg.

I haven't followed this thread too closely, but I'm not sure where the
chicken and egg are.  Rather than *moving* the code to lang, you can
*copy* it.  Then, BeanUtils or whatever can still depend on its own
version until the lang version is released.  Then, BeanUtils can update
(when they're ready) to use the new version that exists in the released
version of lang, assuming, of course, that the version in lang is as
good, or better, than the version already in BeanUtils.

btw, I'd prefer if this reflection stuff was in a package other than
lang.  When I think of the "lang" package, I think of stuff like
"Strings", "Integers", etc.  "Predicate" "Closure" and "Factory"
probably apply there as well.  Essentially, the most basic of basic
coding stuff that just plainly doesn't exist in the java APIs.  Any type
of layer over reflection/introspection is a layer above what I view
"lang" to be

Then again, I'm probably missing something my not digesting all of the
thread first...

regards,
michael