commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Michael A. Smith" <>
Subject RE: [reflect][collection] Predicate - a question
Date Mon, 17 Jun 2002 19:43:34 GMT
On Mon, 17 Jun 2002, Ola Berg wrote:
> Personally I think that util classes with static factory methods
> eventually will become a burden, and that you later on will regret the
> approach.

Why?  I'm interested in hearing your argument.

> My favourite practice to reduce complexity of the public API when the
> number of decorators and implementations tend to grow is the static
> inner class that implements the outer interface:
> public interface Predicate {
>     public void evaluate(...);
>     public static class Or implements Predicate {
>     };
> }

It's not possible to do that for the Map, Set, List, Collection
interfaces, which is the primary motication for the collections package.

> Personally, I think it is sad that you consider the static factory
> method in util class approach for your Iterators, but it ain\'t my API
> or my decision, and I definitely don\'t want to start flaming.

Why?  Please explain.  It's not a flame if we talk technical merits and
avoid personal attacks.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message