commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Michael A. Smith" <>
Subject Re: [Collections] Naming conventions
Date Thu, 13 Jun 2002 21:09:22 GMT
On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> 2) Subclassing would be more complex. Currently each Predicate decorator
> implementation extends another based on the interface hierarchy. In order to
> continue this, the static nested classes would need to be package scoped,
> not private. Not a big issue, but it should be noted.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean here, but this compiles just

public class Foo {
  private static class Bar {
  private static class Baz extends Bar {

The Bar class is private outside its scope of Foo, but since Baz is in
the scope of Foo, it can still see Bar.

> 3) Defining the relationship between ListUtils and Lists, CollectionUtils
> and Collections and MapUtils and Maps. Unfortunately, ListUtils,
> CollectionUtils and MapUtils are @since 1.0, so we are not free to rename
> them.
> After a little thought, I think I favour adding Utils to all of the above.
> Results in no clashes with Java, and just involves adding methods to
> ListUtils, CollectionUtils and MapUtils.

I haven't fully digested this thread yet, but I'm inclined to agree with

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message