commons-dev mailing list archives

From cost...@covalent.net
Subject Re: Logging: more classloader problems.
Date Thu, 06 Jun 2002 19:47:24 GMT
On Thu, 6 Jun 2002, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> I wanted to split out the factory impl from the api jar for other reasons,
> feeling that the clean break between API and impl was good,  but wondered
> about the classloader implications.
>
> Of course, I didnĀ¹t realize it would break tomcat.  I would have said
> something specific if I had.

It doesn't actually break tomcat, only if commons-logging is installed in
the common logger ( and then it'll just not allow loggers in WEB-INF,
tomcat will continue to work ).

> > Actually the default logger ( used if no 'real' logger is found )
> > and the JDK1.4 adapter will have to remain in the main jar ( unless
> > we want to support an alternate impl. for JDK1.4 logging - is it
> > even possible ? )
>
> Why would it have to remain?
>
> (I'll stop the xposting after this one and keep it on commons...)

The 'simple' logger ? Because it's very possible ( even likley ) to
not find any other logger, and it's important to get at least something
on stderr to know that things don't work. It would be very bad to have
major errors but see nothing because a logger was not found. Plus for
simple apps you don't need a real logger.

For JDK1.4 ? I don't know, it seems it doesn't work otherwise,
probably I'm doing something wrong.

Costin