commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: [Lang] Add Factory and Identifier to Lang
Date Sun, 23 Jun 2002 22:39:14 GMT
Although I forked this thread off to a more general one on whether there
should be a Core package or not, I've still something to say spefically on
Factory and Identifier.

My view of a Jakarta Core package is that it adds something to java.*.
Factory and Identifier are a set of new concepts that in no way enhance
the existing Sun APIs, instead they define a new framework. Thus why I
think it should a new project based on a new low-level framework for
common Patterns.

You've talked about the classes you want to submit being low-level, but
they're not at the lowest level [ie) right above java.*]. The reflection
code recently suggested does [assuming it works right above
java.lang.reflect.* in concept] fit nicely in Lang.

That was my main reason for being against Factory/Identifiable going into
Lang, [or Core if that was created]. My apologies for taking this long to
figure out the words.

Hen