commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: unmavenising Commons projects
Date Sun, 23 Jun 2002 20:06:02 GMT

On Sun, 23 Jun 2002 costinm@covalent.net wrote:

> If maven can't deal with the 'plain' ant at least at the same level
> with Gump, I don't care about the other features, and I'll wait
> for another tool that provides them without 'deprecating' build.xml
> or trying to make ant a 'legacy'.

Not a fault of Mavens, more a fault of the application of Maven in these
cases.

> > Again, how much of the existing maven process must be available in a
> > vanilla ant build file?

I would say the 'legacy' ant would need to build a jar and run the unit
tests. Are you saying you'd want Maven to actually call the legacy ant
build? This would be a bad thing imo. The current ant builds are terrible
at handling dependencies. For example, to build one Commons package that
is dependant on another, I often have to have that one checked out from
CVS too.

> I think every common component should build with plain ant -creating
> the 'jar' at least, since that's what other projects need. If the
> commiters of a component decide to generate build.xml - that's fine, but
> I'll not vote for that in the projects I work.

I'm -1 on generating too. Putting generated files into CVS always seems
bad.

> I won't use Maven for myself or in a project until it can support the
> current build files at least as well as gump - but I don't want to
> stop others from using maven ( as long as they don't force me to
> use it ).

Biggest issue I can think of here for you are that Maven outputs jar files
with a specific format, ie) commons-1-0.jar or somesuch, and that while
gump and maven can interact it's not something that's been done a lot.

> Removing the ant file in a component without a vote is unacceptable
> regardless of what Maven does.

Agreed. Must the ant file always remain the file with the build logic in,
or can there be a separate build structure? ie) would a Makefile have to
call the build.xml somehow?

Hen